Friday, July 12, 2013

The 4th at the Lake



We spent July 4th at Lake Chautauqua with the fam. The day started out spectacular. I raced to Wegman's to grab a watermelon and some hamburger buns, and locked my keys in the trunk after spending five minutes tethering said watermelon to the side of the trunk so it wouldn't roll over my buns. Why, one might ask, didn't I just put my buns on the front seat next to me and let the stinking melon roll around the trunk for a few miles? Well I'm not sure, but I had ninety minutes to ponder it while I waited - in the rain - for the roadside assistance man to cruise on over and unlock my truck. Good times.

Once we loaded up all manner of food and kids and arrived at the Lake, things started looking up. We had a great time - it was everything a July 4th should be. Nothing more, and nothing less.

We went out on the boat and visited a cool old bookstore.







We grilled hot dogs and watched the fireworks explode into red and blue streaks in the black night sky.


We let the kids eat junk food and stay up late.



We put them to bed smelling like the lake and didn't care.



We roasted marshmallows over an open fire and kayaked through the quiet morning with kids on our laps.



We rescued one of our littles when he got too curious and slipped off the dock, and thanked God over and over for His provision of safety.





The kids slept great and the grownups slept like crap, grumbling bleary eyed to one another in the morning until coffee was gratefully sipped on the big deck at the water's edge.






We drove home happy and tired, glad to live in this country where we are free to live as we choose, and prayerful that our children will still enjoy the same liberties in the decades to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment