Thursday, June 21, 2012

See, We're Normal! (Sort Of)

A week ago I had a Homeschool Girl's Night Out, though technically we're closer to "ladies" than "girls" these days, and we stayed in rather than going out. Just semantics, people.

When I started homeschooling two years ago, I was certain that I was choosing a lonely, isolated life. I knew that homeschooling was what I wanted to do, but I was terrified that I would never find "normal" people for the kids and I to be friends with. The past few weeks as our school year has ended and a delicious quiet has crept back into our days, I've had the chance to reflect on how God has richly blessed us over the past two years. Friendships that we made last year have flourished (miss you, Navarres!), and this year brought a wonderful new group of friends for the kids and I. It is a fantastic community to be a part of, and I can't imagine a better way for us to learn and play and grow together.

Everyone arrived at 7:30 with snacks in tow, and I made them play a dorky icebreaker that was actually kinda fun. We learned all kinds of hilarious things about one another and kept the kids up because we were laughing so hard.

Emily & Jen

Sharon, Cecilia & Rachel

Melissa & Shelle

Elizabeth & Taylor

Liz, aka "Mrs. Smith," the boys' beloved teacher at Classical Conversations this past year and first crush - isn't she lovely? One time she came to class with her fingernails painted and they talked about it for weeks. They even drew pictures of "Mrs. Smith and her pretty fingernails." True story. Perhaps I need to devote a little more time to personal hygiene, as it seemed to them that she was the only one in the world with pretty fingernails. I wasn't jealous or anything :-).


I missed capturing the lovely faces of a few other girls, but I'll get them next time since we all decided this is something that needs to be a regular event. After our game we just hung around, ate, and chatted. Plans and playdates were made, curriculum ideas were traded, encouragement was offered, and laughter abounded. The last guests didn't leave until midnight, and as they did we congratulated each other on the fact that it was after 10 pm and we were still awake. It was a great night with a great group of girls ladies. I am blessed to call each one of them friend.

"Become wise by walking with the wise;
   hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces
."
Proverbs 13:20 (The Message)

1 comment:

  1. oh, your boys are the sweetest!! they were a joy to have in class - really! i'm so glad they noticed my nail polish! ;)

    ReplyDelete