Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sister Cousins


I have two sisters. And they are truly my best friends. It wasn't always this way, but it is this way now, and I am so grateful for that. We talk every day, and if for some reason a day goes by without me speaking to one of them, I call my mom (who is always in the know, as only a mother of three girls can be) and demand to know what is going on with the one I haven't spoken to in 24 hours. Is she sick? Husband out of town? Kids down and out with the flu? Pregnant? If we haven't spoken, something's up.

The past few months, I've been giving some thought to the fact that, unless God has plans Greg and I are not currently aware of, Chloe will never have a sister. I trust Him completely with the architecture of our family, and know that if this is the case, it is His plan and, therefore, the best plan. I know He will give her closer friends than I will probably ever have, and He has already given the two of us a closeness that I always dreamt I would share with my daughter. Even still... every time I have a heartfelt conversation with one of my sisters, every time one of them encourages me or inspires me or makes me laugh as only a sister can, I get a pang of sadness that Chloe will never have that.

A few days ago I was reading a blog and happened upon an idea... SISTER COUSINS! The blog writer was talking about the fact that she and her sister call their daughters "sister cousins," because they each only have one girl. Perfect! Chloe just so happens to have five simply adorable girl cousins, two of which are within a year of her age!

I wish like crazy that these sister cousins lived closer than six and ten hours away, but I suppose that beggars can't be choosers. These cousins, after all, are five of the sweetest, kindest, most lovable little girls anyone would want to meet. I feel so very blessed that God chose us to be part of the same family.

This is our darling sister cousin Hailey, who was born only five and a half months after Chloe. Her mama drove eight hours to be at my baby shower, and was twelve weeks pregnant with this little girl at the time. These two have more than their last name in common... they both love to dance, they both love horses, they're both shy until you get to know them, and they both have those huge, responsible, eager to please, firstborn-child hearts that just make you want to weep sometimes, they're so earnest and sweet.



We already have some special things planned this summer to spend time with all of our sister cousins. Though it's only January, the countdown has begun.


Cousins by chance. Friends by choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment