Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sip and See


A few months before Charlie was born, my dear friend and mentor Kathy called me and announced that she wanted to have a party for me. This was my fourth baby, I protested! I didn't need anything, and besides, I would feel guilty even asking anyone to come. Mothers of fourth babies don't deserve showers :-).

Nonsense, she replied! Mothers of fourth babies deserve them more than mothers of first babies! We are going to celebrate you and Charlie! 

Three weeks after Charlie was born she hosted a lunch for me in her lovely home. Kathy is a tremendous hostess. It is truly her spiritual gift! Not one thing was left undone, and her attention to even the smallest detail made me feel so special.

 


I was overwhelmed with the generosity of the people that came that day. It was so wonderful to be blessed with so many thoughtfully chosen gifts for Charlie.






 I cringe at how huge I look in this picture! Charlie was only three weeks old, so I guess I need to give myself a break :-).


A few more pictures of the guests...




After a wonderful afternoon I came home and brought all of my gifts up into Charlie's nursery. I spent the next few hours sitting on the floor, showing Greg and the kids each gift, taking them out of their boxes, and finding special places for everything. It was so much fun!





The fact that the people who came spent the better part of their day celebrating with me meant more to me than perhaps any of them will ever know. In the busy, self-involved world we live in, showing up to celebrate someone else's joy isn't a very popular idea anymore. I will never forget how very special each one of them made me feel that day.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."
John 15:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment