Sunday, June 11, 2017

In Which I Dump Two Years of Life Into a Rapid Series of Posts

Life has a way of turning nearly upside down when you suddenly find yourself the homeschooling mother of five. I still can't figure out how to get the laundry done. I still rarely get a full night's sleep. We still haven't finished the math books, and it's June.

So.

I haven't blogged in a while. I'd like to start back up again, and the reason is that this is the most precious record of our fleeting days that I have. Some people scrapbook, and have those lovely Shutterfly albums of every major life event stacked up neatly, chronologically even, on their living room bookshelves. Some are really good at taking their kids to those photography places every six months to stand on the dirty white background and cock their head to the side while holding some silly prop. I am not good at scrapbooking, and my kids look like plastic versions of themselves in those white-background silly-prop photographs.

I blog.

More accurately, I used to blog. It was the truest way I found to capture our lives on a daily basis. I read posts from six years ago, and can remember the exact way I felt that day, the exact way my children looked, the exact pitch of their voices. What a gift.

So begins my stuttering attempt to resume the recording of our moments and days. We have lived so much life in the past two years, and it's time to start marking it again. This is the only way I know how.

"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December."
James M. Barrie

No comments:

Post a Comment