Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My Hilarious Six Year Olds

"It feels kind of hilarious to be six."

That's the way Max described how he felt about his birthday the morning of Nov. 1st when he woke up. It seems to me that last week they were just about to be born, so I guess I kind of agree with him.

We've had great fun this year celebrating our six year olds. Instead of a party, we decided that each of the boys would choose a special adventure that we would do as a family. Sam chose Living Treasures, a local animal park that is a lot like a zoo. Max chose Fun Fore All, a crazy, loud Chuck E Cheese-type place with a three-story climbing structure. I'm going to do a separate post for each of our adventures because we had a lot of fun and I want to remember each day.

Their birthday morning began with our family tradition of breakfast in bed for the birthday boys.
 

 

Then we managed to get in a little school before spending the afternoon at Fun Fore All and eating pizza, cake, and ice cream.

 






 

Finally, finally, it was time for presents. Max in particular was getting downright rude a tiny bit impatient after waiting all day for his gifts. Guns, swords, ninja attire, and animals were the hits of the evening, and the boys were mostly gracious, which was a delight to see. Our only incident of ingratitude was when Sam unwrapped a pair of Elmo jammies and was quite indignant. He may or may not have announced "Ewwww! I don't want these!" before tossing them behind the couch. I was a tiny bit offended; Greg thought it was a perfectly appropriate response from a six-year-old boy unwrapping Sesame Street sleepwear instead of toys.






As usual, I can't believe how big my little boys are. The night before their birthday, Max came into my room before bed and said, "Mom, are you going to cry happy tears tomorrow when I turn six?" I'd been telling them all week that they needed to stop growing up! It's happening too fast!  The truth of the matter is, I really love their ages right now. They were sweet, miraculous babies, but they were a lot of work. They're so much fun now! They're smart and curious, funny little boys. So creative, and often so endearing. Their childhood is going fast, but Greg and I rest in the certainty of this: we sure are enjoying the ride. Una vita sine paenitentia.

Here they are six years ago:


and here they are today:



Dear child, if you become wise,
    I’ll be one happy parent.
My heart will dance and sing
    to the tuneful truth you’ll speak. 
 Don’t for a minute envy careless rebels;
    soak yourself in the Fear-of-God
That’s where your future lies.
    Then you won’t be left with an armload of nothing.
Proverbs 23: 15-19 {The Message}

No comments:

Post a Comment