Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Girls' Day Out

Last weekend Chloe and I had a special girls' day out... Greg and I decided we'd like to do something small with each one of the kids before the baby comes, and last Saturday was Miss Chloe's turn to spend a special afternoon with Mommy. She was allowed to have some input, and of course, the first words out of her mouth were "I'd like to go to the butterfly salon."

The "butterfly salon" is just our local nail place, but they have special seats in the shapes of butterflies for the little girls that Chloe finds absolutely irresistible. It's always interesting for me, because I was such a tomboy when I was her age. I had a CHIPS bigwheel that I tore down the street with behind my best friend David, and about 200 Star Wars men that I alternately played with and categorized into neat little plastic cases with something bordering on obsession. Chloe is all long blond curls, pedicures, ballet class, and dresses... I almost have to bribe the kid to get her to wear a pair of pants.

I have to admit, I am so glad she is who she is. When I was pregnant with her we didn't find out what we were having, but I was absolutely convinced she was a boy. And it's not that I felt disappointment about that, exactly - I actually love being a mommy to boys and hoped I would have one someday - but thinking she was a boy placed a certain amount of "pressure" on me, because I absolutely knew that I had to have a girl at some point in the Smith family progeny. What if the next one was a boy too, and then the next one, and then the next?  My goodness, I could have a whole herd, with not a sweet little pigtailed princess among them! Who would I bake with and have spa days with and read Anne of Green Gables to?

When I gave that final push and she was born and the doctor announced, "It's a perfect baby girl!!!" it was one of the most profound and exciting surprises of my life. Since that morning in July, almost seven years ago, I have watched with joy as she has grown into such a darling little girl. Last Saturday we engaged in one of my all-time favorite little luxuries - pedicures - and then went to Starbucks for girltalk and cupcakes. Out of the blue as she slurped her chocolate milk she asked me, "Mom, when you were a little girl, what were your favorite books?"

I spent the next fifteen minutes telling her all about a little girl named Anne with an "e," who had red hair and the most fantastic imagination, who was orphaned as a baby but then went to live on a beautiful farm on Prince Edward Island and had the most fantastic adventures.

"When we get home, do you want me to find my copy of the book that Nana gave me when I was little? We can start reading it if you want - it has fantastic pictures."

She took a big bite of cupcake and nodded happily.

Thank you, God. From the depths of my soul, thank You. You and You alone are the giver of all good things.













"God is good to one and all;
      everything he does is suffused with grace."
Psalm 145:9

No comments:

Post a Comment